Thursday, February 22, 2007

An Ettleson Weekend (part II)

Quite an elaborate post, Leah- but I can't help but feel the need to fill in some of the holes when we weren't with Leah and Sara. After we left Leah's, we went to McCormick Place- where the auto show is hosted. For those who have never been to an auto show, it is an event for car junkies and moms alike. Of course, we get to enjoy some perks because Dad is on the board that runs the Chicago auto show. One of those perks includes snacking in a special director's lounge overlooking the show. Also, we get these neat badges that allow us to leave and get into the show whenever we want. (Actually, a week earlier, Jake, Dad, and I got into the auto show before it opened to the public--with the badges--and rode this Jeep ride that goes around this track in the show that simulates rugged terrain)-But I digress.

Before going into the auto show on Sunday, we had breakfast at the Hyatt, a hotel that is connected to McCormick Place. We had a table with pseudo-highchairs- my feet were like 2 feet of the ground while I was sitting on the chair. After we enjoyed the breakfast buffet and spent about 3 hours at the show (Dad had a board meeting), we went back to our sham of a hotel: the four seasons. I mean, when we got back to our room, all that was sitting there was a bowl of popcorn, 3 glass bottles Coke and cookie and chocolate milk for Jake. New towels are nice, but complimentary Coke is quite memorable. Then, Dad and the sibs went to the pool while I stayed and worked on a paper in the room. (doing homework- shocker, I know). But when you are overlooking Lake Michigan from 30 stories up, homework is slightly less miserable. That night, we had dinner at Mity Nice- an American style restaurant near the hotel. For dessert, we went to the Ghiradelli's (which is right next Hershey's). I had hot chocolate again, but this time I was prepared. I used a spoon for the first five minutes. That's key- I would know. That night, I slept without fear of being spied on... and the next morning we ate breakfast at this quaint restaurant called Oak Tree Cafe. We wrapped up our vacation downtown with a visit to the Chicago Art Institute. Here's an update from the ever-fascinating world of art: nothing's changed. But, then again, you can't beat the classics.

This is Matt Matt "The Slippery Cat" reporting- giving you plain talk about the art issues you need to know... just in time...;)



A few pics:





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

detailed, but not as good as Leah's and it never will be. anyway, nice job. I had a lot of fun (especially at the art institute)ha!

Anonymous said...

Very insightful, oh slippery one! And the photos are a very nice touch! I'm glad you enjoyed your urban weekend :)