Monday, July 07, 2008

Thirty days to thirty

Hello fam. As I begin to contemplate the meaning of hitting the big three-o, my first thought was that it would be fun to post a rhyming blog on the Dummyline. Then I started to think of words that rhymed with thirty--dirty, flirty, nerdy, squirty. Suddenly, that train of thought started to lose some steam.

A wordsmith I may be, but no assortment of words can express just how fortunate I feel that I will get to celebrate my thirtieth birthday in the presence of all the loved ones I care about most. Iowa has been good to me, but there just aren't any Slaws, Ettlesons or Lincenbergs around. There are a few Whites, but they're just pretenders.

You are all always so good to me when I'm up at Camp Slaw. I hope to elicit some smiles and laughs in return. Perhaps there will be another song, game show (a Monty revival!) and/or comedy act in the works.

Until then, I ask that you all soak up every last drop in this next month of summer. Some of you are already doing just that, which pleases me greatly. My parents are taking the cruise of a lifetime in the Mediterranean, Lizzy is packing her bags for Atlanta, Rob and Jeni are in the honeymoon period of their engagement, and so much more. I am giddy with delight knowing that each of you will be arriving at Camp Slaw with stories to share.

Camp Slaw aside, many of you are wondering if BJ is taking his nomadic act back to the Chicago area. All I can say at this point is that it's a serious possibility. I have applied for a Professional Academic Advisor position at the College of Lake County, which looks intriguing to me. I should find out in the next week or two if I'll be asked to come out for an interview. A lot of chips would have to fall in place. There is a lot to my Des Moines life that I enjoy. The whole notion of starting graduate school all over again is another wild card that is infiltrating the mix. I could spend the next year researching and applying to top-notch Higher Education Master's degree programs, then go somewhere in 2009 and complete the Master's full-time in two years. I have to lay out all the cards on the table and try to ask myself which one is the best hand.

I can tell by the rumbling in my stomach that I have rambled here long enough. I hope all of you had an explosively fun 4th of July and I will see you down that long lonesome highway.

xoxoxoxo,
BJ

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

BJ! I'm so glad you blogged. I always like to keep up with the latest with you, especially since you weren't here for the fourth. Everybody missed you!! I can't wait to see you at Camp Slaw and don't worry, I'll have plenty to share when I arrive back at O'hare! It needs a little work, but I tried:)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you BJ. Glad everything is going well in Des Moines. I could have used your expertise, though, on the Fourth of July for the parade. Jake and I went to set up chairs, and, to our dismay, there was no room where we usually sit. We had to walk all the way past Beverly before there was an opening for the chairs (and the spot was only open because a telephone post was right in the middle of it). Needless to say, it was a very trying experience- but in the end Jake and I got the chairs set up, and I think everyone enjoyed the parade- regardless of the pole.

Anonymous said...

Yes, B.J. you're very close to the BIG 30 !!!!! How is it possible for 30 years to go flying. I must say that your were an adorable little boy and now you're an adorable grown man. (only a grandma gets away with comments like that) We missed you on the 4th but I'm sure you had a great visit with Rob. We're all looking forward to Camp Slaw and very happy to welcome Rob, our new camper.....How about some gift ideas for this festive birthday ???

Anonymous said...

B.J.
Remember, 30 is still very young!!! Enjoy your thirties, they are great. We are looking forward to celebrating the big day with you. Love Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

B.J.
Remember, 30 is still very young!!! Enjoy your thirties, they are great. We are looking forward to celebrating the big day with you. Love Aunt Joan

Anonymous said...

BJ,
I always welcome your insightful posts. I'm looking forward to your birthday party. After all, I'm in charge of it, along with Leah and Kim, so I better be on top of it! Perhaps Monty will be in the hot seat for a change :) love you!

P.S. - Lizzy, nice rhyming action there!
P.P.S. - Matt, I didn't realize the pole was a source of stress for you. Just so you know, it had no effect on my enjoyment of the parade.

Anonymous said...

BJ, I am impressed with your desire to have a rhyming blog. This is something that even I would not attempt! I do always enjoy reading your blogs. You do have a great way with words! Thanks for keeping us posted. And as you know, I am always rooting for a Chicago landing! Love, Aunt Jeri

Anonymous said...

sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Job BJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anonymous said...

After 30 years....I think its time you make Atlanta your home!!!!!