Thursday, July 03, 2008

Blog version 2.0

To begin, see above on the top of the blog for an introduction to Slaw Dummyline v2.0. I hope these changes result in a more multimedia based blogging experience that everyone can enjoy. If you look to the right side of the blog, you will see the addition of the logo (The Dummy, Dummy Line f. Grandpa Bob), the poll and the slideshow features.

My hope is that (with the exception of the logo) you guys (and not just me) will be able to contribute to these new applications. The poll is not just there for people to vote (and to be hilarious... but seriously), it would be great if others posed their own questions and answers as well. Even though the vote says there are about 30 days left, it can be changed at any time. To do this, simply log on (username matt@ettleson.com, etc.) and then view the blog. In the upper righthand corner of the screen is the underlined word "customize." Click that. From there, you can edit the layout of the blog and the slideshow and poll apps.

The slideshow app is particularly interesting because it is a part of a larger project I have of creating an online collection of web photos (using a google program called Picasa) that all of the family members can contribute to and have access to. Part of the result would be a much more interesting and varied slideshow, but there would be other possibilities as well. I know we share photos online already, but having them all in one place in the future may be helpful.

Finally, let me know what you think about the blog. I think someone (BJ) suggested a blogging tutorial this camp slaw. While that may not be necessary, I would certainly answer any questions and concerns you folks have so that everyone is capable and comfortable with blogging (if they want to in the first place, of course :) ).

Matt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee Matt, just when I thought I had gotten comfortable with our Blog you go and make all these advanced changes. No way do I know what you're talking about but I can make chicken soup, can you ???? I guess we all have our strong suits.... I'll try to follow your instructions and see what I come up with. Is there some way that you can combine your Doctor mind with your computer mind ???? Your user name will be Doccom.com...Cute !!!! TaTa xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Looks to me like you have a lot of free time at your so called "job." Anyway, the blog looks good, but I think it could use a bit more color. I like the poll and slideshow though. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Matt, this is excellent! Like Grandma, I don't usually love change, but I am a fan of all the enhancements. I do have a few opinions (Me, have opinions? Shocking, I know)! First, I think you should put the step-by-step instructions for creating a post on the right panel permanently for reference, since I noticed the separate website link is gone. Is it www.blogger.com? See, I already forgot since I haven't created my own post in awhile. Second, I think it is still a good idea to have a full tutorial at Camp Slaw to walk everyone through the blog. Though everything seems intuitive and user-friendly to you, not all users in this family are so technologically savvy. Question: Can we have more than one poll at a time, or will creating a new one bump the existing one? Thanks for doing this for our family Matt (and for setting up the chairs at the parade today - I heard that's your job). I will soon begin my trek to the suburbs via public transportation (does anyone feel sorry for me?) for the 4th of July festivities! For those of you who don't know, Lizzy and I make a mean flag cake!!!

Anonymous said...

I believe it was yours truly who came up with the innovative idea for a Slaw Dummyline Blog Seminar at Camp Slaw. I think this format will be a good way to get everyone involved and on board with the blog. Maybe we can bring a couple of laptops and do some hands on keys. I not only want to be proud that our family has a blog, but to be an educated, active contributor as well.