Sunday, January 20, 2008

Back by popular demand

Hello to all coveted members of the SLEW community (I'm banking that the SLEW acronym will catch on at some point),

It was just over a year ago when BJ unleashed a blog post with some New Year's Resolutions. If you would allow myself a moment to reflect on those...

1. Stay busy. For those who have braved the 350-mile trip from Chicago to see me, they know that Des Moines is a decently sized area with plenty of things to do. Given that I don't have a reliable social network out here, I did a pretty good job of keeping myself active in 2007. I still have my nights as Captain Couch Potato after long work days that leave me brain dead, but I think I'm doing okay.

2. Get myself out there with the ladies. From Yahoo! Personals to getting fixed up by a friend's girlfriend to her best friend (follow that?) to Speed Dating to exploring a relationship with an old friend, one can safely say that BJ pulled out all the stops in 2007. I'm thinking of pitching a reality show idea to ABC called "The Bachelor: BJ Style." The premise--I get to hang out with 23 lovely ladies individually handpicked by my 23 immediate family members. That way, each of you have a pony to ride. Mixing family drama with the quest for true love makes for a juicy concoction, don't you think? Suffice it to say, more dating adventures should loom large for this bachelor in 2008.

3. Staying in better touch with my family. This resolution was a mixed bag. On one hand, I did keep my promise of getting back to Chicago at least once every 4-6 weeks to hang with the fam. On the other, there were long stretches of time where I left the fam wondering if I was placed into the witness protection program. Leaving all of you in the dark from time to time is not something I set out to do, it just happens. Over the years, I feel like I have established a unique relationship with each one of you, but I need to do a better job of fortifying those special bonds.

Now what you have all been waiting for! BJ's resolutions for 2008...

1. Communicate more frequently with my family so that I may garner more than two honorable mentions on Matt's Blog Year-in-Review montage.

2. Get my butt in gear and run in at least two half-marathons. By doing so, I will also be better conditioned for the sand volleyball circuit this summer. The ladies will take notice. Oh yes, the ladies will take notice.

3. As I reach the crossroads of Summer 2008, try to really focus on what it is that I want, what makes me happy, and JUST DO IT.

Lovin' you all like it's going out of style,

BJ

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I would like to confirm that there are many things to do in Des Moines, and I don't just mean planting, harvesting, husking, and eating corn (although you can certainly do that if you want). Hopefully, if Daniel is up for it, we can drive out there again this summer (and maybe make it a longer road trip). One of my resolutions is to not waste the summer just sitting around and playing golf- not that there is anything wrong with that. I just feel like I want to do more.

Also kudos to BJ for checking up on his resolutions last year. That's how you make progress.

Anonymous said...

Very well written as always rand. Although I can't really speak for Sara, I'm gonna: you can expect another visit from us in 2008! I liked all of your resolutions. As we all continue to get older and remain active in our own lives, it's so important to keep in touch with everyone in the SLEW (look B, your acronym is alreay being put to good use).

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly from last year's post (and I think I do), Busy BJ = Cool BJ. And I think you succeeded! By the way, I never knew you tried speed dating!?! See, the blog is very informative.

Matt - I caught your Seinfeld line in there :)

Leah - Never speak for me again. Just kidding! Iowa, here we come!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, B.J. It's always great to see a blog from you. We were busy the last couple of days with a visit from Devin. It was really a treat for us. She came in town to interview Grandpa. She has an assignment to interview a World War veteran. She certainly lit up our home and hearts...When is your next visit? We promise that the SLEWS will welcome you with loving arms. Love you, G&G xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks, B.J. It's always great to see a blog from you. We were busy the last couple of days with a visit from Devin. It was really a treat for us. She came in town to interview Grandpa. She has an assignment to interview a World War veteran. She certainly lit up our home and hearts...When is your next visit? We promise that the SLEWS will welcome you with loving arms. Love you, G&G xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

OOOPPPSSS.....

Anonymous said...

BJ, nice! I'm particularly impressed with your goal to run two half marathons in 2008. I hope we can run one of them together. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I just realized something... Two half marathons equals a whole marathon... whoa...

Anonymous said...

Nice post bj! I hope that you meet all your goals in 2008. Thanks for sharing and caring!

Anonymous said...

BJ, I love you humor. It's so you. Good luck with all your resolutions, especially the marathon one because that will be the hardest for you by far. Haha. Can't wait to see you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, B. Sorry it took me so long to read the blog. I've just been busy and disorganized as usual. I think your last resolution is the most important and the most difficult. Good luck. I love you, Mom

BTW...I am making progress on all 3 of my resolutions. Go me!