Thursday, November 04, 2010

Congratulations Jessie and Darren!

To Jessie and Darren-

You two now embark on life's great journey: raising a life. You are now parents, and you will have to be teachers and listeners, care givers and chauffeurs, band-aid dispensers and breakfast makers, and whatever else is necessary to give Jaylen your best. It will be amazing watching him grow up before our eyes as it will be watching you two grows as parents.

To Jaylen-

I'm not exactly sure when you will learn to read or be able to understand this, but hopefully the blog is still around when you can, and you can get this message (that was written the day after you were born- that is pretty cool). First of all, you have a very special name. It starts with a J. This is very common in our family, so you will fit right in. Your middle name is also special. It is in honor of a man you will only meet through others' stories and memories of him, but you will know him and remember him as we all do.

You are also very lucky to be born at this time and into our family. You will learn from an early age how important family is, how important you are to this family, and (hopefully) how much you like spending time with us.

You were born at a time when many things are starting to change- from what type of cars people drive to how people interface with computers and communicate with others. You will grow up and take everything new in stride, while the rest of us will be left catching up and thinking about how things were.

For now, just take the world in (babies seem to be good at this), and I hope you are as happy and healthy as possible.

Love,

Matt (your first cousin once removed, I think)

And here you are (the first of so many pictures, I'm sure):

8 comments:

Kim said...

that was so beautiful and touching matt! you seem to always know exactly what to say!

i would like to give a DITTO shout-out to all of the above. Jaylen, we love you so much already, and I can't wait to meet you!

Great Aunt Jeri said...

Matt, you do me proud! What wonderful sentiments.

I too am thrilled to welcome baby Jaylen into our family.

A new life is a true joy and a blessing. A gift to be loved and cherished. By being named after our beloved Grandpa Bob, our hearts are already filled with love for this new little one.

Can't wait to meet him!

I love babies!!!!!!

Aunt Jeni said...

That was AMAZING Matt. I don't think Jess and Darren have seen this so I'm going to copy and paste it and send it to them. Really wonderful....thank you. Love, Aunt Jeni

Aunt Joan said...

Oh Matt, I can't put in to words how beautiful that was. I am very moved. As a new grandparent, I can only hope to live up to the standards set before me. You are a truly insightful young man and as Jaylen's second cousin, I am sure the two of you will be very close. Can't wait for you two to meet. Thanks for the beautiful blog. I love you!

Joan said...

We know you love babies Jeri! :)

sara said...

Congratulations to Jessie & Darren on becoming parents!!! Also, congrats to Joan & Craig on becoming grandparents and to Jeni & Rob on becoming an aunt and uncle! I am so excited to welcome Jaylen into our family! I can't wait to meet my new baby cousin (since I can't really refer to the Lincenbergs and Ettlesons as my "baby cousins" anymore)!

Lots of love,
Sara

Mommy said...

Ok so I tried to comment the other day , but it didn't post. Here we go again.

Matt, Darren and I read you unbelievably insightful and beautiful message from my hospital room. It warmed our hearts to read how you were able to put such love and so many of the things we were all thinking into words. Those days in the hospital were very challenging for Darren and I and reading this gave us a lot of comfort. It's a little blurry, but I think we both cried. Thank you.


To everyone, it seems we've been saying this non stop lately, but we are truly blessed to have eachothet during these times. Darren and I have felt the live and support of each and everyone of you this past week- whether spoken or unspoken. What more can I say...you guys are the best.

With much love,
Jessie and Darren

Lizzy said...

That was really sweet, Matt. Jaylen will be one of the most loved babies ever! I am so excited to see Jaylen grow up (but not too fast). Congrats, Jessie and Darren and to everyone else that gained a grandchild, nephew, or cousin.

Love, Lizzy