Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Taste of Champaign

Well, I know that this post is long overdue, as I have been at U of I for close to two months now. I just wanted to give an update as to how things are going down here in Champaign.

First off, classes are going well. I just had most of my midterms this past week, so that was a little stressful. Right now, I am taking 5 classes: Introduction to Professional Responsibility (Intro to Business), Public Speaking, Calculus 2, Macroeconomics, and Computer Science. I would have to say that my favorite class is Macroeconomics. However, my Intro to Business class is also very interesting.

Outside of classes, I am trying to get involved in some student organizations on Campus, mostly business related. I am a member of Finance Club, and I am applying to be a member of an organization called the FIRM. The FIRM is an investment banking student group on campus. I also am applying to be a part of Illinois Business Consulting, which is a student run consulting group where students analyze real business problems in the community. Most of these organizations are very competitive though and require a series of interviews before acceptance into the organization.

In my free time, I like going to the ARC (Activities and Recreation Center). I usually play basketball, volleyball, or racquetball with my friends at the ARC.

Well, once again, I am sorry for the tardiness of this post. I hope everyone is doing well at home, and I look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Love, Daniel

11 comments:

Laurie said...

Daniel, I'm so proud of you and so happy for you. I knew that you would thrive at school. Of course we miss your all-purposeness here at home, but we're getting by. Looking forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving. Love, Laurie

Kim said...

It is so awesome that you are getting involved at school! I am very excited for you. Thanks for the update! And I hope your midterms went well!

Jeni said...

Daniel, you're bringing back memories and actually making me feel kinda old. I think I'm gonna come visit next year... homecoming maybe. I so wonder if it's the same place. Is Bub's still there? Clyborne? Kams? Delights on Greene? I assume life hasn't changed too much..there still must be pokey sticks!!! Ok enough nostalgia. I sound like Jeri and Julie when I first started there. :)

Kim said...

oh my gosh we had pokey sticks and i miss them soooo much!

Matt said...

Daniel- good luck with all those interviews and the clubs you are applying to- let us know how that goes.

sara said...

What are pokey sticks?

Gram and Grampa said...

I agree... what are pogey sticks?? Well Daniel, you finally sent your very first Blog. I am so excited to hear from you. You must know how much we all miss you and are happy that you've adjusted so well. It sounds like you're super busy but you've struck a good balance between work and play. We're looking forward to your visit at Turkey time. Take good care of yourself and remember, we love you.....x x x x x x

Jeri said...

Daniel, thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading about your school life. Hope your exams went well. Good luck with those business clubs. We miss you like crazy here, but we know that you are where you need to be. Love,Mom

Uncle Mike said...

Daniel, thanks for the update. Sounds like you've got it all going. When was the last haircut? Shaving? Doing any laundry? Had your first beer? Gotta be doing something a little wacky! If you don't feel like going completely public, e-mail me. What happens in Champaign stays in Champaign.
Uncle Mike

Lizzy said...

Very first blog? I think not! I think we all remember "Daniel's Sports Update" from July 2006! Don't we? Anyway, it was nice to hear from you Daniel and it sounds like you're keeping busy and having fun too. Good luck getting accepted into those organizations and can't wait to see you for Thanksgiving!

sara said...

Daniel- Congrats on receiving double-digit comments! Hopefully this will encourage you to post again and again to keep us updated. Going away to college can be a great experience. I am very happy for you and proud of you. I loved my Macroeconomics class in college as well. Public speaking, on the other hand, was not my favorite. I hope you are making good friends and having good experiences. Love, sara