Saturday, June 13, 2009

B's baaaaaaaaaack

Dear esteemed members of the SLEW clan,

Greetings to all. BJ here, with an incredibly overdue post to the fam blog. As we near the mid-point of June, there is much to report...

First off, my spring academic quarter just concluded at Northwestern last Wednesday. It was a stressful term with a lot of schoolwork in my 3 classes, but I think my grades will turn out alright. I have now completed 9 of the 15 required courses in the master's degree program in higher education administration. I have a weeklong break before I return to school for the six-week summer session. I will take two more courses for sure, and am still mulling over the possibility of an internship at Northwestern. I am meeting with my program advisor next week to discuss some options for internships and jobs. I expect to return to full-time work in the fall, even though I will not earn the master's degree until June, 2010. If anybody has any questions about this, feel free to ask.

Second, I wanted to let you know that I broke up with Krista a couple of days ago. Although I liked her very much (and still do), she was far more invested in the relationship than I was. I recognized that I had been pushing myself away from the relationship for quite some time. It simply wasn't fair to either of us to keep the relationship going. Krista was understandably saddened, but acknowledged that all the points I was expressing were true. Unlike my past relationships, I very much hope Krista and I can remain close friends. She's in the same master's program at Northwestern as I am, so I'll still be seeing her in future classes. I now view this summer as an opportunity to stay focused on my academics, yet also make sure that I continue to meet new people and get involved in some fun, social endeavors.

On a lighter note, this is a weekend for our family to celebrate! Jeni's second bridal shower is hours away. In fact, I am writing this post from the G's house. I am Grandpa's roommate while Grandma and my Mom are out in New York City helping to represent the Slaw side of the family. Don't worry about Grandpa and I, we are going to have a great time. The Ettlesons are going to have dinner with us the next couple of nights so we will be in great company.

Okay, it's time for me to entertain Grandpa. Hugs and kisses for all, and let the countdown for the Slaw-Melstein wedding begin!

Love,
BJ

5 comments:

sara said...

BJ,
It's wonderful that you're spending the weekend with grandpa and other family members. I am jealous of our family members in New York for the weekend. I hope to make it back out there for a trip at some point. My last (and only) trip to NY was when you and I were living in Skokie.
Enjoy your hard-earned week off between terms. I hope your meeting with your advisor is productive. I'm proud of you for sticking with such a challenging masters program. I don't know if I could do it.
I love you!

devin said...

I love hearing about what everyone is up to! Enjoy your mini-vacation from classes, BJ!

Kim said...

It sounds to me like you're in a good place right now, and I am very happy for you! I think you understand what you are looking for, in all aspects, and you are working hard to get it. That is an attribute to admire!

Where will you be working in the fall?

Laurie said...

B-Thank you so much for making it possible for Gram and me to go to NY last weekend. We both appreciate your staying with Grandpa and taking such good care of him. You're are undoubtably the only person in the fam who could have pulled this off. We all had a great time in NY. Jen & Rob were wonderful hosts and tour guides for the short time that we were there. The shower was lovely-truly lovely. I was so glad that I was able to make the trip.
Love to all,
Laurie

Lizzy Ettleson said...

Funny, yet sad, and I always like to be updated. Thanks for posting, BJ! Your life is very interesting and it's fun to hear what's new!