Monday, June 15, 2009

Bobbie Takes a Bite of Big Apple

Hello!
Greetings from NYC. After reading BJ's fabulous (as always) message, I felt as though I needed to respond with a blog posting of my own, so I can fill you in about this weekend and to express my gratitude to everyone back home for making it happen.

As you may or may not know, I had a shower here in New York City on Sunday, given by Wilma. We had more people on our turf this weekend then ever before with Mom, Dad, Jess, Grandma and Aunt Laurie... all accounted for. Not to mention, family members of Rob's from North Carolina had also flown in for the occasion. We actually had our first NYC family party here on Saturday night when we decided to bring in desserts after dinner (that was the best we could do - this is me we're talking about). Would have loved to have Mike E. for the ice cream :) All in all, we did a lot of EATING. Back to the shower. It was really nice and I loved having the Chicago Slew's (sorry BJ, I stole it) meet some of the Sirota's and some of my friends for the first time. The guys, including Dad, also bonded over a steak lunch while us girls were having our tea and finger sandwiches.

But I'm burying the lead. While the shower was wonderful (just like the one in Chicago was), the true highlight of the weekend did not happen until last night when I insisted that we take Grandma to Times Square. Earlier in the day, Grandma would "ooh and ahh" over a double decker bus, the architecture on the Upper East Side, or even just marvel at how many streets looked just like Michigan Avenue. She also was THRILLED to be on the subway and said "this is just like six flags". But again I bury the lead. When we got to Times Square, my mom describes it best, "she was like a little girl at a candy store", I've never seen her face light up like this. I wasn't sure what was the more amazing sight...Times Square or Grandma's reaction.

It really made me happy to see her so excited and I wanted to try to capture this for the rest of you. I owe so many of you my gratitude, including Grandpa and especially BJ, for your help, so everyone could make the trip. We all had a great time and now I just have to get the rest of you out here. :)

The wedding is approaching fast now! We can't wait. Much love, Jeni and Rob

5 comments:

Kim said...

Love it!
I wish I could have been there to see Grandma's excitement (and of course also to be at your shower!).

Can't wait for August!

Mom said...

Great commentary, Jen! I also said she looked at times squares through the eyes of a child...so full of wonder as if she had just seen it for the first time. It took my breath away. I al also greatful to everyone for helping get her there, take care of things back home so we could all enjoy her amazement and just have her there with us. The shower was wonderful and I will post some pics soon.

Jess said...

Yeah, I'm really sad I missed the Times Square Extravaganza. However, G-ma's face on the subway was quite memorable-especially when the mariachi guys were playing the acordian!

Laurie said...

Jen,
Gram & I had a wonderful time in NY. (See my comment to BJ's post.) I loved seeing where and how you live. Before it was hard to imagine you so far away. Now I have a better idea. It was also fun to meet some of your friends. I'm glad that you have a support system there. These girls will become your NY family. Michael & I lived out of town for the first 8 years of our marriage. It helped us to bond to each other. That tight bond has gotten us through life's toughest times together. Hopefully it will do the same for you and Rob.
Love to all,
Laurie

Lizzy said...

Wow! That was great! I felt like I was there too! In fact, I truly wish I was, but not too much longer until the big day! Can't wait!