Monday, September 01, 2008

The announcement.


And now, the long anticipated, “Eric’s First Blog”….

Some people say that when you get married you not only marry that person but their entire family.  It's amazing to think that it was a year and one week ago, that Sara and I went on our first date, and it was only one week later that I was so warmly welcomed by nearly the entire family and met everyone else shortly thereafter.  Most people would probably say that meeting the family, not to mention grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, after the first week is crazy.  Well, they would probably be right, and for the younger audience, I'm not endorsing this move by any means.  However, after meeting Sara, the idea didn't seem that crazy.  It's funny, and usually sounds cliché whenever you hear a couple say, "we just knew it right away," but I guess that's what true love is.  It's this funny, cliché thing, that given serious rational thought would seem impractical and not make sense, but somehow it does.  And we knew it right away.

I also knew right away that I was loved and accepted by Sara.  It's like that feeling that can only be matched by being home, surrounded by family and those you love.  As quickly as Sara and I fell for each other, I cannot describe the warmth and love that I felt from every member of the White, Slaw, Ettleson, and Lincenberg families right away.   From that first game of Scrabble last Labor Day, to experiencing my first humanistic high holiday service with the Whites, to pumpkin carving on Halloween with the two of the coolest grandwitches I've ever met, to Thanksgiving (dessert) at the Slaws, the many birthdays, Sunday dinners, and every other family gathering both big and small, I left every event with the same feeling of warmth, love and acceptance. 

Sara and I were so happy to announce our engagement to everyone this weekend.   From the very bottom of my heart, I am beyond grateful for the love and support you have all shown Sara and me this past year.  Thank you, and I love you all.

-Eric

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric, thank you for your beautiful message! We are so thrilled and excited for you and Sara. Welcome to the fam! Love, Jeri

Anonymous said...

Eric-

I was right to trust you with such precious information as the blog username and password, and I look forward to many more posts in the future. If you have any time, I would encourage you to look back at the blog archive that appears towards the bottom of the page and see what usually appears on the blog and what has happened for about a year and a half before you were introduced to this family.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really beautiful! Welcome to the family and I must say you are a brave soul opening yourself up to the blog within hours of being engaged! We look forward to sharing many happy times with you and Sara. Now how about a job in Atlanta!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about it! What are the pictures of? Neither of them showed up

Anonymous said...

Eric,

I am so touched that you took the time to write such a heartfelt message. I CANNOT believe we have only known you for a year! It just shows how well you fit in with this crazy "slew" as BJ says. Congratualations to the both of you.

Love, Jess

Anonymous said...

Eric that was really a beautiful message. I cried of course. Granted a cell phone commercial also made me cry yesterday, but your words were touching nonetheless. You are welcomed into this family with open arms. I wish you and my beautiful sister nothing but happiness.
Love,
Leah

Anonymous said...

Eric,

I'm so impressed! I think you've received the most comments in the least amount of time ever! Way to go! (But I am wondering why Sara isn't here yet; she must be having technical difficulties because she is usually always on the blog). Your message was so heart warming and beautiful! I loved it! Congratulations!

P.S. Paige, I had the same problem but if you right click on the box with the word photo and click view, it shows up.

Anonymous said...

I'm here! I was just sitting back for a few days and letting Eric do the blogging! I think it is safe to say that he is off to a great start - I'm so proud of him! I'm not sure why some people can see the photos right away and others can't, but thanks to Lizzy's tip, hopefully everyone can see them now. Thank you all for your warm wishes and for welcoming Eric into the family with so much love. Last but not least, thank you Eric for making my dreams come true - I love you!

Anonymous said...

So much love! I'm so thrilled to be a part of it all.

Eric, cliche' of not, I felt you were "the one" right from the start. Sara never liked mixing friends and family. So when you showed up at a family event with no protest from her, I knew that she must have been very comfortable with you. You fit right in to our wacky group. And you're a decent Scrabble player, too!

Sara couldn't have found a better man. I'm proud and happy to have you join our family. I hope your life with Sara is filled with joy and fullfillment.
Much love, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Eric, what a beautiful sentiment. I remember our first meeting and the wonderful conversation we had about autism. Sara is very blessed to have found someone like you and vice versa. Welcome to our wondeful, crazy family. P.S. The pictures did not come through. Can you try to re-send? I would love to see them.

Anonymous said...

I re-posted the pictures using a different method, so hopefully you can all see them now. Let me know if you still can't. Thanks!