Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Paige's most recent achievement

Hey! So I know someone already posted about me receiving my black belt but I thought everyone might be interested in how I achieved it. I began taking tae kwon do classes six years ago in second grade so there was a long process building up for this. My tae kwon do dojo (school) hosts promotions every three months but every student is not invited every time. The instructors watch us during class to decide if they believe we are ready to promote. At the promotion, you perform everything you have learned in front of everyone. To train for one's black belt, one trains for at least nine months in between getting the advanced red belt (the level below black) and the black belt. Usually, most students do not pass their black belt test the first time they take it because one must perform difficult tasks. First of all, one must display all 24 different kicks numerous times. Also, one must break 8 boards with a different movement every time, 3 of those boards are double boards. To break the boards one must use at least one type of kick, knee strike, elbow strike, and palm strike. In addition, we learn forms/routines that we must perform with perfect technique and power.
Unfortunately, I was out of town when the formal black belt test took place so I attended a private one with only my instructor, my parents, and me. Surprisingly, I passed my black belt test the first time I took it. I broke every board on my first try and I really tried my best. I wanted to attach some pictures but they will not upload to this post but maybe I'll try again later! Love, Paige

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can see...no one is going to mess with you !!!! I never knew how disciplined you had to be to achieve the black belt. We certainly are proud of you. Now, what comes after the black belt and now that you have it where will you use it ??? Try to send the pics. We'd love to see them. Thanks for the explanation. We love you and will always be proud of your accomplishments. xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the specific information, Paige. It is quite amazing to think that you know 24 different kicks and can break boards 8 different ways! I can't even imagine breaking 1 board (unless I sat on it, does that count?) I am honored to know someone with a black belt, especially now that I know everything that goes into it.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing, Paige! A bunch of my friends also took tae kwon do so I've heard a lot about the difficult moves. Only a few of them have actually gotten the black belt so I know it's a wonderful achievement. Congratulations! I hope to see those pictures/video soon! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Paige! This is awesome! I would love to see a demonstration. What happens now? More training? Higher belts?

Paige Lincenberg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well unfortunately, my contract is up in January and I am unsure of what is going to happen after that. But there are nine degrees of black belt in tae kwon do but only one person in the entire world at a time is a ninth degree black belt. When that one person with the ninth degree dies, the next and fastest person to pass the test becomes the only ninth degree black belt in the world and that train continues. I do not expect to ever become that one person with the ninth degree but I am hoping to be able to get atleast up to my third degree black belt because that permits one to teach tae kwon do classes.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Paige, that's amazing!